By the Bay’s Visitor Information Centre Co-ordinator will oversee the day-to-day operation
of the new tourism/visitor information centre located at Bayside Travel Centre, Paqtnkek.
The co-ordinator will assist visitors by providing tourism and travel-related information
specific to the local (Antigonish County) region and Atlantic Canada. He/she will
work closely with DEANS (Destination Eastern and Northumberland Shores), the
destination marketing organization for the region, to ensure up-to-date and accurate
tourism and travel information is available.
The co-ordinator will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the retail space within the
VIC. This space will exhibit Indigenous crafts, made locally by Paqtnkek artisans and others in
neighbouring communities. The co-ordinator will work with local artisans to schedule and facilitate weekly
craft showcases to help artisans exhibit and sell their works. This will also involve scheduling heritage
craft demonstrations within the VIC space and on-site at Bayside. Future plans for By the Bay involve the
exhibition and sale of local Indigenous crafts on a wider scale, and therefore the co-ordinator will work with
Bayside Corporate Division to execute this vision.
The co-ordinator will also carry out administrative functions as required. This will include maintaining visitor statistics (numbers and originating province), managing all budgets for the VIC, and supervising staff if required.
• Oversee visitor information services at By the Bay VIC
• Work directly with DEANS to ensure the VIC is well stocked with relevant and up-to-date tourism
and travel information
• Participate in tourism-related training in partnership with DEANS and Tourism Nova Scotia
• Resolve problems and respond to visitor and partner feedback
• Work with local artisans to create and maintain a weekly calendar of craft exhibits / assist with set
up and take down
• Work with Bayside Corporate Division on day-to-day operations of By the Bay
• Work with Bayside Corporate Division on future plans for By the Bay (display and retail sale of
Mi’kmaw heritage crafts)
• Perform administrative tasks as required
• Manage human resources, such as scheduling staff and conducting training (if required)
• Ensure all COVID-19 safety protocols are maintained and enforced
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Post-secondary training in relation to tourism or business
• Previous experience in supervisory or customer service role
• Excellent knowledge of all Indigenous tourism experiences within Atlantic Canada
• Extensive knowledge of local attractions, events and tourism services
• Excellent communication skills
• Administrative skills
• Time management skills
DEADLINE: Monday, May 31, 2021
Send your resume by email to Charmaine Jesty at email@example.com or deliver it to Charmaine at the
Band office. No social media applications will be accepted. Thank you.